II. Basic Questions
are the characters?
III. Immerse yourself!
“Sounds” and “Sensations”
• Strike a pose
• What are they “saying”?
“Rewind” and “Play”
IV. Recollect and connect
• What’s the Situation?
• When have I been in a similar kind of
• How is the main character reacting to
Questions from attendees
• "Is the first step in grasping a painting's 'message' to review my emotional response to it?"
• "How important is it to know facts external to the work of art?"To clarify: do you need to know the intentions of the artist? do you need to know something of the historical context? the artistic context (e.g. a certain mode in which the artist was operating)?
• "I often feel overwhelmed by the sheer volume of a museum. How can I pick just a few worthwhile works to focus on?"
• "Is there any research you recommend doing before going to an art museum?"
• "Is there anything special to keep in mind when introducing art to or planning a museum trip with young children?"
"What art museums would you particularly recommend that people visit in their travels?"
• "Do you have any suggestions for integrating paintings and sculptures into one's routine if one doesn't" live near a good museum?